HAIR EXTENSIONS CARE GUIDE
Hair extensions are an investment towards achieving your dream hair. We know you want your extensions to look great for a long time, so it is important to look after them.
With a good hair care routine, you will be surprised at how beautiful they look and feel. Also, properly maintained hair extensions last for a good while, giving you more value for your money.
Read on for some of our care tips on how to get the most out of your new hair!
Semi-permanent extensions can be washed while you’re wearing them. However, clip-in hair extensions should be removed first before being washed.
- All hair is most fragile when wet so you should make sure to be gentle when washing it. Excessive washing can make your hair extensions dry so wash only when absolutely required. A quality sulphate-free shampoo is your best bet to ensure your hair extensions do not tangle or dry out over time.
- Gently massage the shampoo into the scalp area and around hair for a good clean. Avoid scrubbing motions when washing to prevent your hair extension from tangling.
- Wash the length of your hair in one direction (in a repeated stroking like motion, from root to tip).
- Be sure to remove all shampoo from your hair extensions to avoid a waxy or sticky after-feel.
- Hydration is key to long-lasting and silky hair extensions. Applying a quality conditioner after each wash will ensure your hair extensions stay in tip-top shape. The focus area when applying conditioner should be from the middle to the tips of the hair. Avoid the scalp area to prevent grease build up.
- Rinse thoroughly to remove all conditioner from the hair for a lightweight feel when the hair extensions are dry.
- For added moisture, you can also apply a quality serum to the tips of the hair whilst wet or when dry. This is especially great for coloured hair.
- If brushing is required during conditioning, focus on the middle length of hair towards the tips. Tangle teasers are excellent brushes for hair extensions as they are gentle on the hair.
PRODUCTS TO USE & AVOID:
- Unlike our own natural hair which receives its natural hydration from the oils on our scalp, hair extensions do not have a source of nourishment. Products for dry hair are advised for hair extensions. Alcohol-free and sulphate-free quality hair products will be your hair extensions best friends and keep them looking shiny and super soft. Products containing sulphate and alchohol can strip the hair and cause matting.
TIP: We love natural hair oils such as organic Argan oil, coconut oil and Jojoba oil for the tips of the hair when it needs it!
You can style your hair extensions with heat, but we recommend you use a quality heat protector before direct heat is applied. Excessive heat can cause little pores to form on the hair cuticle which makes the hair appear lacklustre.
Air drying is the healthiest option for drying your hair as excessive heat can reduce the lifespan of your extensions. This is especially true for coloured hair extensions. You shouldn’t use heating tools over 180°C on hair extensions if you want to keep your hair healthy-looking and lustrous, for longer.
You can wear hair extensions when carrying out sporting activities.
- All hair extensions will work better for you when they are kept dry, so it’s important to dry your hair and scalp area after sweaty workouts.
- Regular swimming in pools and its exposure to chlorine can cause drying and also encourages matting. After swimming in a pool, it’s important to thoroughly wash and condition your hair extensions to restore the lustre and silkiness.
- Your hair extensions will love a silk pillowcase or a silk head scarf. This will help keep them hydrated and ultra-soft when you wake up. We strongly advise braiding your hair before going to bed to avoid tangling.
- Going to bed with wet hair is a big NO.
BEACH AND SUNLIGHT:
As much as we all love the beach, saltwater can be drying to hair extensions and even to your natural hair.
- TIP: We love applying coconut oil to the tips of the hair and then braiding before going for a swim. Wash and condition well after each beach swim.
- If you’re going to spend long hours in the sun, a UV protection spray is also advisable.
- You can colour your hair extensions. It is advisable that this is done professionally to avoid damaging the hair cuticle.
- Hair extension that have already been coloured should not be re-coloured, because it can reduce the lifespan of your extensions. However, you can colour lighter coloured extensions to a darker shade or tone. Note that toning your hair extensions can reduce the lifespan of your hair extensions.
- All semi-permanent hair extensions will need regular maintenance as your natural hair can grow by an inch every 6 weeks.
- You should consider maintenance every 6-9 weeks.
- All Silk Lengths hair extensions are presented to you in a beautiful extensions box, well suited to the amount of hair you purchased. When you remove your extensions, it is essential that they are stored safely, in a clean and dry storage to preserve its' quality and ensure longevity. Avoid storing your hair extensions when they are wet or tangled.
- To keep your hair extensions neat and ready to wear, we advise you to hang your hair extensions using a Silk Lengths wooden hair hanger. These are a perfect option for storing your hair extensions safely and also a perfect way to hang your hair extensions when they are drying or being styled by you.